Wednesday, March 24, 2010

A roll of Duct Tape, Vise Grips, and a can of WD40

Growing up I never really learned much “handiness” outside of righty tighty, loosey lefty. And I’m pretty sure I gleaned that one from TV. In fact, most of my teen years were spent in front of a TV; and while this means you want me on your team for trivia night, it also means you don’t want me as a helping hand on your barn build.

None of this really bothered me until a short time ago. In the summer of 2009 we had a little boy. Essentially I want to do everything in my power to be the best father this little guy could have; that includes learning to be “handy” around the house. Not “all hands,” I’ve got that one down, but “handy” as in fixing things. Heck, even making things

I began my foray into handiness over the past few years after buying our first home. Small projects here and there have been helping me to make monumental jumps in handiness. I can now hang a picture, insulate an attic, and assemble baby furniture. A big deal to someone whose previous building skills were relegated to childhood Lego spaceships.

In the fall I came into possession of 4 boxes of tools (inherited, not stolen). As needed and when funds allow, I have been gathering some power tools and becoming more adventurous in my projects. This blog is my documentation of a journey to make myself into someone my little boy can lean on. I want him to be confident in his abilities where mine have fallen short. Someday he will leave our home and forge his own way. It’s my hope that he will be ready. So, where I may stumble along the way, I’ll learn from my mistakes (and there will be many) and pass on that knowledge to him.

Wish me luck!

No comments: